Encrypt your emails easily by applying a tag
We all have our concerns when employees are on holiday and use their email on unprotected WiFi and email confidential information to their colleagues or customers.
Office 365 now has nice solutions to encrypt email by using a simple tag in the subject or body of the email.
Before you start, you will need one of the following subscriptions:
- Office 365 Enterprise E3/E5 with Azure Information Protection
- Microsoft Enterprise Mobility Suite E3/E5
- Microsoft 365 Business
- Microsoft 365 Enterprise
1. Go to the the Exchange Admin Center and click mail flow on the left side. After this click the + and choose create new rule.
2. The following screen appears. Enter a name for this rule, in my example I have chosen Encrypt email messages. After this click on the dropdown on *Apply this rule if… and choose the option: “The subject or body includes”.
3. In the next screen you can define keywords to apply this rule. In my example we will choose #encrypt and #protect. You can choose any tags on your needs.
4. After you have clicked OK, you will go back to the rule. On this screen we click More options… This will active the option we need further configure the rule.
5. After this you select * Do the following. Hover over Modify the message security… and choose Apply Office 365 Message Encryption and right protection.
6. A popup will appear and ask you to select a RMS template. We will choose Encrypt and click OK. The Encrypt template has now been configured.
7. At last click the save button and you are done configuring the mail flow rule.
You can now send email and they will be encrypted if you use the tag #encrypt or #protect in the subject or the body.